I love what I do! There is not another profession I would rather be in. Every interaction I have with a patient is an opportunity to make the person’s day brighter and to develop or strengthen a friendship. Every time I am able to enrich someone else’s life, it makes my day better!
Education and Continuing Education
My Doctorate of Dental Surgery (DDS) was awarded by the University of Texas Dental Branch at Houston in 1982. I then completed my Master of Science (MS) and Specialty in Orthodontics at the University of Texas Dental Branch in Houston in 1984.
Upon completing my orthodontic residency, I chose to further my education by moving to Europe, where I practiced orthodontics in beautiful Lausanne, Switzerland for ten years. I wanted to learn more about functional orthopedics, so I went there to learn firsthand.
I pursue continuing education on an ongoing basis through the:
- Capital Area Dental Society
- Austin Orthodontic Study Group
- Southwest Society of Orthodontists
- Texas Dental Association
- American Association of Orthodontists
- American Dental Association
For many years, I’ve traveled to Seattle to further my education at the Kois Teaching Center. There, dentists go to learn the most advanced concepts in dentistry and interdisciplinary treatment. In 2008, I became the first Kois Recognized Orthodontic Specialist in the state of Texas. Since then I’ve completed multiple refresher courses at the Center and participate in a local Kois Study Club.
The Orthodontic Experience
Orthodontics allows me to get to know our patients and watch not only their smiles transform, but their personalities and self-esteem, as well. I enjoy the relationships and friendships that develop over time. It all seems like artwork in progress!
Every patient is different, not only in their orthodontic needs but in their personality. My team and I develop individualized plans and have personalized relationships with everyone we treat. I have never tired of working one-on-one with our patients as they attain the smile of their dreams.
Our clinical assistants are very fun, highly skilled, and professional. You will often hear laughter and perhaps a little singing! My team is constantly learning and provides exceptional care in a great environment. They are passionate about what they do!
I am originally from San Antonio and have lived in Austin since 1997, when I moved back from Switzerland. I thoroughly enjoy my King Charles Cavalier Spaniel, Cade, whose sole purpose in life is to chase tennis balls! In my spare time, I enjoy coastal fishing and am a huge Longhorn fan.
Service to the Community
I am very active in the Austin community and have been involved in Mobile Loaves and Fishes since 1998. I’ve participated in a number of Street Retreats, which are very rewarding experiences, too. I attend Austin Stone Church and serve on the Board of the Capital Area Dental Society, as well as the Capital Area Dental Foundation.
- Mobile Loaves and Fishes, volunteer for more than 20 years
- Texas Missions of Mercy
- Hope Smiles Events
- Season for Caring, volunteer
- St. David’s Community, dental volunteer
Awards and Recognitions
- 2018 – Texas Dental Association, Gold Medal for Distinguished Service Nominee. The highest honor one can receive from the TDA.
- 2016 – University of Texas School of Dentistry Alumnus of the Year Nominee
- 2012 – International College of Dentists Fellowship
- 2011 – American College of Dentists Fellowship
- 2008 – Kois Recognized Specialist
- 2008 – Capital Area Dental Society Dentist of the Year
- 2007-2017 – Capital Area Dental Foundation Board Member
- 2003-Present – Capital Area Dental Society Board, various positions including President
- 2003-2007 – Austin Orthodontic Study Group President